Saturday, November 10, 2007

Don't try this at home!

Yesterday started out with a bit of excitement in our house. Let's just say it is the kind of excitement I don't wish to have happen. But, all is well and all are safe. I am talking about a microwave that is no longer as a fire was it's death! One of our international students forgot that metal should not be used in a microwave. (this is the don't try this at home aspect!) It was a bit of a firey mess. All was contained other than a bit of soot. Little bits of soot throughout the kitchen. Everyone stayed calm and made the best of a scary situation. In doing so, I took this stressful situation and made the best of it.

The instant I saw the inside of the microwave, pictured here, I automatically thought of the Soot Stamping Technique. I had never tried it before, but thought that this was my opportunity to do so. So, I went ahead and played with fire! (this would be the try this at home...but with the most caution taken as it is FIRE!).



Here are two cards that I came up with. You simply light a candle, place it under a piece of glossy card stock...making sure not to catch it on fire!!!, and voila....soot stamping! The edges of the paper can burn very easy so take extra care.

The card on the left was created by using the brayer to add some colour to the glossy card stock before doing the sooting technique. This worked out quite well as it appears as though the ground is separate from the sky. I also added little touches of white Staz On to the ground and the tree branches with a Q-Tip to give the illusion of snow. See the close up picture to have a better view.

The card on the right is plain and simple but very effective. I did the sooting technique, and stamped the image with Black Staz On ink. I love the simplicity of these cards. They definitely have a masculine touch.

When doing the Soot Stamping Technique, it is very important as I said to take much care to prevent a fire. Once your card stock is "sooted" the way you like it, make sure that you don't touch the glossy front as it will leave your finger prints. The most important step is to seal the sooting. I sealed mine by using Krylon's low odor clear matte finish sealant. It does not dry immediately, so allow time for your image to dry.

I hope these cards give you some inspiration!

Happy Stampin'!

Stacey

(images copyright Stampin' Up! 1990-2007)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home